I cleaned out our files this past spring and found a few gems in the piles of founding documents for our foundation. One was “Rules of Engagement” to guide family meetings. I shared it over the summer at our annual meeting and we all got a good laugh. But seriously, these aren’t bad ideas for group interaction!
1. Come to the table ready to participate.
2. Listen! Have the courtesy to listen to whoever has the floor.
3. Leave your organizational 2×4 at the door.
4. State your opinion. No opinion means agreement.
5. Include entire group in discussion and comments. No splinter conversations.
6. State your case clearly and briefly.
7. There are no dumb ideas.
8. All participants are equal.
9. No war stories.
10. Pick solutions, not fights.
11. No cheap shots – attach ideas not individuals.
12. Turn off all cellular devices.
13. Have FUN! Enjoy the meeting and those around you.